Friday, September 29, 2006

Musings on my Favorite Sweater

I have knitted sweaters out of merino, donegal, silky wool, silky tweed, noro cash iroha, angora, alpaca, bamboo and cotton. Yet my favorite sweater is this one.

This is the first sweater I ever knitted. It is the hourglass pattern from last minute knitted gifts made out of cascade 220. Yep. That cascade 220. The workhorse of wool. I wear this sweater for everything. From going to the pumpkin patch, to hiking in the woods, to a family portrait. It is comfortable and softened after so many washings and even a little bit pilly. But it is my comfort sweater. I love all my sweaters I have made in their own way and for different reasons. Whether luxurious or basic, they all have their purpose. But this sweater makes me feel like me. It's a little bit big and roomy, but it fits me perfectly, or my style anyway. And it is my favorite color. One of those greens that draws me in and brings out my eyes when I wear it. I love this sweater. Sure, some day another may replace it on my favorites list and it may go to the back of the closet eventually, bt it will always have special memories for me. From picking out the yarn, to the knitting, to the accomplishment of my first sweater, to all of the memories I have while wearing this sweater. Even this picture is a memory to be filed away with this sweater. My daughter took this picture of me while I was knitting the Belle Epoque from knitty. The memory of her saying "one, two, smile!" is just another moment in time preserved with the camera and my favorite sweater. It is amazing how much a piece of clothing can hold our hearts.

Now a quick look at current WIP's: I have picked up the Belle Epoque again after many months away and have jsut divided for the front and back. I am making it out of cascade Indulgence and I am hoping I will love wearing it as much as I love the feel of the yarn as I knit it. I also picked up anotehr sweater I am working on in variegated alpaca (I'll post pictures next time) and then realized why I put it down. I have all the pieces completed, but not enough yarn to finish the neck. grrr. Hopefully my LYS will have more. Luckily, I don't have to worry about dye lots with this yarn. Also, I am working on the slippers for my hubby for his bday and one of the scarves for a gift. Next time, I will posdt progress picks, but today was mostly about my sweater.

1 comment:

Becki said...

What exactly is "LYS"? I've seen it twice thus far, and have yet to figure it out...